Thursday, December 11, 2008

Banning books update

Remember when I got all mad a few months ago, because an Oregonian mother was refusing to return a The Book of Bunny Suicides to her son's school?

Said mother thought the book was tasteless and would turn all children into rapist serial-killing elitist liberals?

So, remember, I taught at that school last year. You may have heard stories (I love a lot of the students and respected the other teachers, and that's the extent of the nice things I can say)...

The mother filed a grievance to have the book banned from the school library. Fine--it's her right as a parent to take that action (that is much better than her idea to steal the book).

Well, the board voted 3-3 about banning it. In January they will reconvene with all seven members and vote again.

This is just preposterous! I cannot believe they are thisclose to banning a book. Well, I can believe it--there are some backwards folk there.

Seriously. If the board bans this book, they are setting an extremely dangerous precedent. I suggest they ban the following works of literature I taught to students at that school last year:
Brave New World
Hamlet
Things Fall Apart
Catch-22
Cat's Cradle
The Awakening


They all feature suicide. If we're banning suicide, we should probably ban death as well...

The Great Gatsby
Harry Potter
The Scarlet Letter
short stories of Flannery O'Connor
The Crucible
The Hobbit
The Stranger
Tom Sawyer


Oh, wait. That was almost everything I taught. Damnit.

1 comment:

The Chalange said...

Don't forget 1984, Animal Farm--actually, just get rid of all books. They are suspiciously filled with words.